The package of measures proposed to be achieved by the Institute for Economic Forecasting has the following objectives:
- to assess the progress made by Romania on the path of economic reform and restructuring during the years of transition, relative to other Central and Eastern European EU membership candidates;
- to determine the economic and social implications of the process of reform and European integration on Romania's economic sectors (industry, agriculture) and labor markets;
- to improve regional and European economic cooperation and coordination;
- to analyze the role of the economic policy in attracting foreign direct investment (FDI) in Romania;
- to assess the degree of harmonization of the Romanian economic policy and economic legislation with the European norms and requirements;
- to evaluate the development of democratic and free market institutions that are crucial for the success of economic reform in Romania;
- to upgrade the research and policy formulation skills of the Romanian participants in cooperation programs with top EU and CEE scientific institutions, through the development of comprehensive networks and twinning arrangements.
- to develop a comprehensive analytical framework for macroeconomic policies at regional level, by joining forces with other CEE research institutions.
The fundamental aim of the Institute is to become a reliable and competitive scientific interface between Romania and the rest of Europe, and an attractive potential network node in a future European system of macroeconomic research and economic policy formulation and analysis. To achieve this objective, we view the establishment and continuous improvement of the scientific links with top regional and European partner institutions as a priority of our consolidation and future development strategy. Our package of measure proposals gravitates therefore around this priority.